Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Cinderella's Blanket

Here is the latest installment in the baby blanket knitting marathon. This is for a new niece (her sisters want to name her Cinderella!) expected in October. Hopefully nobody else gets pregnant soon, because I'm sort of sick of making baby blankets.

This is a modified version of Ann & Kay's Mitered Squares from M-D Knitting. I just sort of started knitting the pink and white miters and went from there. I didn't want to do the math to change the square size, but I think it worked out rather nicely. I used around 7 skeins of pink Ormo Atom (got online from discount brand name yarn, huge bargain!) and the remaining 3.5 left over from the Argosy baby blanket.
I knit with the yarn doubled and used my Knitpicks size 11's. The individual miters didn't take long at all, and how fun, once you build up some momentum, they just fly!

It ended up being pretty large, probably about 40"x40". Once I got rolling on it, it went pretty quickly. This was also my first project involving any sort of massive seaming. Once I got the hang of it, my mattress stitch went pretty quickly and looked nice.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with this blanket. It's soft, machine washable and PINK! Cat included for scale. And because she HAS to be included in whatever is going on. Brat!
A close up of the center square. 4 smaller miters.
Folded-up view. You can see my "picture frame" edging. Picked up stitches and used up the white, then more pink. I should have gone a few rows more, because it flips under in the middle of the sides, but oh well. Live and learn.
A view of the striped miter.
My only regret is that I didn't take a picture of the white yarn leftovers. There couldn't have been more than about 10 yards. Pretty darn perfect!

Currently on the needles, Clapotis from Knitty in Rowan Damask. I'm through 2 of my 5 skeins. I'd really like to finish it before a wedding in a few weeks, but I'm thinking that is unlikely, since my evenings are consisting of very little knitting and lots of struggling to stay awake past 8:00. Waking up at 5am is HARD!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Blogger Vanessa said...

It is so gorgeous!! It makes me want to make one even though I don't have a reason to right now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home